This job posting is expired.
Please review the Eligibility Requirements for all ResStaff prior to submitting an application.
There is one application for all ResStaff positions (Traditional RA, Theme RA, Michigan Learning Community RA, and Diversity Peer Educator). If you are interested in also applying to any of the RA positions, please review the job descriptions (link) to learn about role responsibilities and eligibility requirements.
See “How to Apply” instructions below.
In alignment with the mission of Michigan Housing, the overall purpose of the Diversity Peer Educator (DPE) program is to assist in the development of a community that is inclusive and supportive for students across all social identities.
DPEs work to strengthen the living‐learning environment and strive to create an inclusive community by building relationships with residents and conducting educational, cultural, social, and personal enrichment programs that promote the ideals of diversity, equity, inclusion, and social justice. Further, they serve as a resource to support students who are targeted in their identities and social memberships by responding to behaviors that negatively affect the community and campus climate.
Community Organizing Responsibilities (40%)
- Plan, facilitate, and assess diversity, equity, inclusion, and social justice training and education for residential staff and residents.
- Serve as an advocate for marginalized students and groups in the community by referring them to appropriate resources and campus offices.
- Assist in conflict resolution, problem-solving, and crisis management related to identity within the residential community using restorative practices.
- Work with professional staff to develop ResStaff training sessions that address the needs of the community.
- Guide a multicultural council by attending weekly meetings, supporting programming, conducting monthly one-on-ones with the executive board, and facilitating social justice development activities and training.
- Provide administrative oversight for the multicultural council budget.
- Dedicate two hours each week to actively promoting awareness of diversity, equity, inclusion, and Housing values at the Community Center and/or in the community.
- Engage in campus wide initiatives related to the Diversity, Equity, Inclusion (DEI) Strategic Plan and potentially facilitate ALA 421: Creating Inclusive Communities.
Residential Community Outreach Programming (40%)
Each DPE will focus on Residential Community Outreach Programming through the following opportunities:
- Develop and coordinate active and passive educational programming for the residential community.
- Create neighborhood/ area collaborations and large scale residential community programs that further the mission of Michigan Housing.
- Implement strategic first six-week engagement through signature programming including, but not limited to:
- DPE Open House
- Focused programming to assist first year students transition into Michigan
- Collaborative programming with DPSS and Housing Security
- International Student Support
- Large scale neighborhood programming
- Collaborate closely with Diversity and Inclusion and campus partners on creating, implementing, and evaluating on-going educational programs that compliment the DEI Strategic Plan, Change it Up!, and You Belong Here.
Residential Community Responsibilities (20%)
- Act as a role model and keep a positive attitude while working to build an inclusive multicultural community.
- Build positive relationships with ResStaff through collaborations and supporting their programs and contributions.
- Participate in mandatory weekly ResStaff meetings on Monday nights and mandatory weekly DPE meetings on Tuesday nights.
- Follow Diversity and Inclusion Concern protocol, follow up with impacted residents of identity related incidents, and work with ResStaff to support and rebuild the community using restorative practices.
Other duties as assigned by Diversity and Inclusion.
The position is a 20 hour a week commitment
- The personal and academic success of DPEs are a priority of our office, and this can be challenging with the appointment. In order to support DPEs in the role, the DPE supervisor will connect with them to talk through strategies to help DPEs balance co-curricular opportunities with the DPE responsibilities as needed.
Supervision of the DPE position and program is from the Office of Diversity and Inclusion in Housing. In-building support is done in partnership with Residence Education.
General eligibility requirements for all ResStaff positions can be found on this webpage. DPE candidates should also notify firstname.lastname@example.org regarding special circumstances that may influence your cumulative GPA. Finally, in addition to ResStaff Training, DPEs must also be available throughout move-in and Welcome Week to fulfill DPE specific responsibilities.
Compensation includes room and board; the meal plan provided is a tool to build community with residents. Please consult with the Office of Financial Aid to determine how the position compensation may impact your award package.
Jon Merrill, Senior Program Manager
The Connector, 603 E Madison St | Ann Arbor, MI 48109