Founded in September 2010, Living ArtsEngine is an ArtsEngine program and Michigan Learning Community at UM, located in Bursley Hall and sponsored by the College of Engineering, the STAMPS School of Art & Design, the Taubman College of Architecture + Urban Planning, the School of Music, Theatre & Dance and the School of Information. The mission of Living ArtsEngine is to spur and support collaborative, creative work across disciplinary boundaries and to provide an open and inspiring community in which to generate and pursue new ideas.
First-year students in Living ArtsEngine take UARTS 150, “Writing and Interdisciplinary Collaborative Design”, in the fall term, and UARTS 175, “Collaborative Creative Projects” (CCP) in the winter term. Other co-curricular activities include design competitions, make-a-thons, monthly workshops, guest speakers and field trips. Living ArtsEngine Resident Advisors reside in Bursley Hall and are responsible for assisting students on their floor, in the program, and throughout the building. The Hall Director and the Living Arts Program Director provide supervision for the Living ArtsEngine Resident Advisors.
25 hours per week, 20 of which would be for the traditional Resident Advisor role and 5 hours per week for Living ArtsEngine activities. Michigan Housing recognizes that Resident Advisors have other academic, personal, and professional time commitments as well. A Resident Advisor’s Hall Director is available to discuss strategies to help balance the Resident Advisor responsibilities with other time commitments as needed.
In addition to fulfilling their hall-wide responsibilities as outlined in the Traditional Resident Advisor position description and contract, each Living ArtsEngine Resident Advisor is required to fulfill the following additional Living ArtsEngine responsibilities:
- Serve as a mentor and role model for the community; guiding, supporting and providing useful resources.
- Meet regularly with first-year students and peer mentors; developing positive relationships, providing mentorship and serving as positive role models.
- Meet regularly with the Living ArtsEngine Program Director to discuss floor issues/concerns and develop/plan LAE specific events.
- Organize and participate in monthly, Living ArtsEngine sponsored, building wide arts-integrated events
- Assist with logistics and participate in monthly community meetings (when needed) and the annual Living ArtsEngine Exhibition.
- Organize and lead one collaborative creative workshop for Living ArtsEngine residents each semester.
- Complete administrative tasks such as taking attendance, surveying the student experience and providing other appropriate documentation for events and activities as directed.
- Participate in recruitment events as needed.
Must meet eligibility requirements as outlined in the Traditional RA position.
Co-supervised by the Hall Director and Living ArtsEngine Program Director.
As the Living ArtsEngine RA position exceeds 20 hours, this position includes a stipend. Compensation includes room and board. The meal plan included is to be used as a tool to connect with residents.
Please consult with the Office of Financial Aid to determine how the position compensation may impact your award package.
Phone: (734) 764-9499 or Email: livingartsEngine@umich.edu