The main role of the Max Kade Resident Advisor is to foster a residential community where German is spoken frequently on a day-to-day basis. The RA is the main facilitator of the in-house events, such as Deutschtisch and Kaffeestunde, TV and film nights, game nights etc. The Max Kade RA is expected to be proficient in German in order to encourage and support speaking German in the house and to facilitate a deeper understanding of German culture and intercultural exchange.
The Max Kade German House residential program is located in North Quad. Max Kade House residents will be sophomores, juniors, or seniors who are learners or speakers of German and are comprised of returning, transfer, international, U.S., exchange, and students returning from study abroad programs.
20 hours which encompass Traditional Resident Advisor weekly responsibilities with a targeted focus on Max Kade German House programming. Michigan Housing recognizes that Resident Advisors have other academic, personal, and professional time commitments as well. A Resident Advisor’s Hall Director is available to discuss strategies to help balance the Resident Advisor responsibilities with other time commitments as needed.
- Fulfill all advising, counseling, programming and administrative responsibilities outlined in the Traditional Resident Advisor position description.
- Foster an environment for active use of the German language with the residents by speaking in German on a routine basis within the Max Kade House and encouraging all types of exchanges and activities to be conducted in German.
- Together with the residents, create and encourage activities in which program participants can learn about the culture of German-speaking countries.
- Help to organize, conduct and assist in advertising the weekly Kaffeestunden.
- Run a German table at the applicable dining hall at least once per week.
- Help to organize and host “film nights” and/or other social events on a regularly scheduled basis.
- Help to conduct variable active academic, cultural, or social programs in general each semester geared specifically towards the Max Kade German House residence hall activities.
- Engage in educational opportunities and possible joint collaborative projects with other MLC’s located in proximity to the Max Kade German House MLC (for example, the Global Scholars Program).
- Participate in Campus Day and other recruitment events, marketing, and in conjunction with the Faculty Coordinator for the German Department, serve as liaison to other units.
- Accompany and assist the Faculty Coordinator and house residents on the annual study tour trip to a German speaking country (specific location determined on a yearly basis) and act as a leader and role model.
- Establish/maintain strong linkages with faculty and staff members in the Department of Germanic Languages and Literatures to foster academic support for Max Kade German House residents.
This position reports to the Hall Director and the Faculty Director for Max Kade German House. An annual Max Kade German House Program evaluation process is required.
Must meet eligibility requirements as outlined in the Traditional RA position. Must be comfortable using German with house residents on a daily basis.
Co-supervised by the Hall Director and a Max Kade professional staff member.
As the Max Kade RA position requires an additional level of cultural programming, it includes a stipend.
Compensation includes room and board. The meal plan included is to be used as a tool to connect with residents.
Please consult with the Office of Financial Aid to determine how the position compensation may impact your award package.
Phone: (734) 936-0150 or https://lsa.umich.edu/german/undergraduate-students/max-kade-german-residence.html