The Residential College is a four year interdisciplinary liberal arts program within the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts (LSA) at the University of Michigan – Ann Arbor. The RC is a living-learning community of high-achieving students who share a global curiosity, a passion for participatory education, and a drive for creative exploration. All RC students work to proficiency in a foreign language by completing the foreign language sequence in one of the six RC immersion languages (Spanish, French, Russian, Latin, Japanese, or German), or meet an equivalent competency in an LSA foreign language not offered in the RC. The RC community connects within the classroom over small class size of 9-20 students and a first name basis with professors, and outside the classroom in active student life of peer-lead discussion groups (RC Forums), the RC Student Union, the RC Players theater troupe, and more.
RC RAs, RC Mentors, RC student org/forum leaders, RC Academic Advisors, RC faculty, and RC staff, are all part of the close-knit RC community located in East Quad. The day-to-day of the RC community is most directly supported by ten (10) RC Resident Advisors. The RC Resident Advisor position is jointly supervised by the East Quad Hall Director(s) and the RC Student Affairs Coordinator (SAC) and the RC Admissions & Recruitment Coordinator.
The RC RA role requires about 3 hours per week to be set aside for RC RA responsibilities. This averages to 23 hours per week combined with traditional RA responsibilities. Resident Advisors are expected to meet the expectations and responsibilities of the Traditional RA position and through the RC RA time commitments listed below. Michigan Housing recognizes that Resident Advisors have other academic, personal, and professional time commitments as well. A Resident Advisor’s Hall Director is available to discuss strategies to help balance the Resident Advisor responsibilities with other time commitments as needed.
- In August, attend summer RC RA training coordinated by the RC Student Activities Coordinator
- In September, lead RC-specific Welcome Week activities (i.e. Board Game Nite, New Student Dinner, walk to Shakespeare in the Arb, walk residents to RC Convocation)
- Attend short, weekly RC RA meetings to plan community building activities (CBAs), give check-ins and updates on your hall, connect with your RC RA team, and discuss community issues in the RC
- Meet with the SAC for a one-on-one twice a semester, once at the beginning and one at the end, both fall and winter semester
- Attend anchor RC events: RC Convocation, Festiforum, Winter Festiforum, Chili Course Mart (fall/winter), Parent/Family Weekend
- Promote RC-specific events and opportunities in your hall and to your residents
- Serve as an RC liaison and resource to EQ ResEd, non-RC residents, RC residents in non-RC halls, RC Faculty and staff, and the University.
- Fulfill all responsibilities outlined in the Traditional RA position.
- Applicants must be a current, active RC student
- Applicants must be actively engaged in the RC by enrolling in RC courses and being involved in RC student life
- Must meet eligibility requirements as outlined in the Traditional RA position.
Compensation includes room and board. The meal plan included is to be used as a tool to connect with residents.
Please consult with the Office of Financial Aid to determine how the position compensation may impact your award package.
Co-supervised by the Hall Director and RC Professional Staff member.
Phone: (734) 763-0032 or http://www.rc.lsa.umich.edu/