Resident Advisors in Theme Communities fulfill all aspects of the Traditional Resident Advisor job description, but approach the work through the lens of their Theme by engaging with their residents and programming around the particular topic area that their community is built upon. Whether it’s a resident’s first time on campus, or they’re a returning student looking for a community made up of others who share their passions, serving as a Theme Resident Advisor is an exciting opportunity to enhance the resident’s experience and your own.
The Resident Advisor role commitment is 20 hours per week. The 20 hours include but are not limited to building connections with residents, facilitating interactions and activities for and with residents, one on one meetings with the Hall Director, Monday night staff meeting, and working at the Community Center. Theme Resident Advisors take on the same time commitment as traditional Resident Advisors, while also meeting the Theme specific responsibilities below:
- Attend Theme specific Resident Advisor Training
- Assist in actualizing the Theme Community mission through student interaction, programming and assessment
- Fulfill all Theme engagement responsibilities as directed by their supervising Hall Director. Examples of which could include but are not limited to:
- Hosting one Theme program a month, taking students to one pre-existing on-campus event a month, tracking attendance at Theme events, meeting individually with Theme residents once per semester, etc.
- Communicate and work collaboratively with Theme Partner to plan, promote and implement Theme events
- Attend monthly Leadership Team meetings with the Theme Partner, Assistant Director of Theme Communities and Hall Director
- Assist in Theme marketing and recruitment for the following year
- Assist in the recruitment of Theme Resident Advisors
- Preference will be given to individuals who have previously been part of the specific Theme or have connections to the topic area. However, any candidate interested in working as a Theme Resident Advisor is encouraged to share their interest and their application will be considered.
Currently, there are specialized Resident Advisor positions in the following Theme Communities:
- 1st Gen
- Adelia Cheever Program
- International Impact
- Living Business
- Multicultural Housing Community
- Second Year Experience
- Sustainable Living Experience
- Transfer Year Experience
To learn more about the individual Theme Communities, please visit the Theme Communities webpage.