Founded in September 2010, Living ArtsEngine (formerly Living Arts) is a living-learning community at UM, located in Bursley Hall and sponsored by the College of Engineering, the School of Art & Design, the Taubman College of Architecture + Urban Planning, the School of Music, Theatre & Dance and the School of Information. The mission of Living ArtsEngine is to spur and support collaborative, creative work across disciplinary boundaries and to provide an open and inspiring community in which to generate and pursue new ideas.
First-year students in Living ArtsEngine take UARTS 150, “Introduction to Creative Process”, in the fall term, and engage in a semester-long collaborative creative project (CCP) in the winter term. Other co-curricular activities include design competitions, creative projects, monthly workshops with guest speakers and field trips. Living ArtsEngine Resident Advisors reside in Bursley Hall and are responsible for assisting students on their floor, in the program, and throughout the building. The Hall Director and the Living Arts Program Director provide supervision for the Living ArtsEngine Resident Advisors.
25 hours per week, 20 of which would be for the general Resident Advisor role and 5 hours per week for Living ArtsEngine activities. If ResStaff participate in extracurricular activities outside of their ResStaff Appointment (i.e. another job, committees, sports teams, etc) that have the possibility to interfere with their ability and willingness to perform the full range of responsibilities associated with their ResStaff Appointment, they are expected to discuss this with their supervisor in advance. The supervisor, in consultation with Residence Education Central Staff and HR, will determine if a potential conflict of commitment exists and what the options are.
In addition to fulfilling their hall-wide responsibilities as outlined in the UM Housing Resident Advisor job description and contract, each Living ArtsEngine Resident Advisor is required to fulfill the following additional Living ArtsEngine responsibilities:
- Fulfill all of the advising, counseling, programming and administrative responsibilities outlined in the Resident Advisor job description.
- Meet individually with the Living ArtsEngine residents on your hall once per semester in order to get to know them and assess their needs.
- Organize and participate in Living ArtsEngine sponsored events, activities, and competitions.
- Organize “open mic night” for building-wide performance opportunities.
- Organize and lead one Living ArtsEngine workshop each semester.
- Participate in recruitment events as needed and serve as Living ArtsEngine liaisons to the north campus university units.
Must meet eligibility requirements as outlined in the Traditional RA position.
Co-supervised by the Hall Director and Living ArtsEngine Program Director.
As the Living ArtsEngine RA position exceeds 20 hours, this position includes a stipend.
Phone: (734) 764-9499 or http://www.livingarts.engine.umich.edu/index.php