The Max Kade German House residential program is located in North Quad. Max Kade House residents will be German – speaking sophomores, juniors, seniors or graduate students and are comprised of returning, transfer, international, U.S., exchange, and study abroad students. The Max Kade Resident Advisor is expected to be fluent in German and to encourage a deeper understanding of German culture and intercultural exchange.
20-25 hrs. weekly (20 resident hall hours weekly with some additional hours for Max Kade German House programming commitments). If ResStaff participate in extracurricular activities outside of their ResStaff Appointment (i.e. another job, committees, sports teams, etc) that have the possibility to interfere with their ability and willingness to perform the full range of responsibilities associated with their ResStaff Appointment, they are expected to discuss this with their supervisor in advance. The supervisor, in consultation with Residence Education Central Staff and HR, will determine if a potential conflict of commitment exists and what the options are.
- Fulfill all advising, counseling, programming and administrative responsibilities
outlined for the Resident Advisor job description.
- Establish/maintain strong linkages with faculty and staff members in the
Department of Germanic Languages and Literatures to foster academic support for Max Kade German House residents.
- Foster an environment for active learning of German culture and language on a daily basis with the residents by speaking in German on a routine basis and encouraging all types of exchanges and activities to be conducted in German and on Germanic related topics.
- Organize, conduct and assist in advertising the weekly Kaffeestunden.
- Organize and host “film nights” and/or a lecture series on a regularly scheduled basis (for example film night, twice per month or academic lectures once per month).
- Conduct variable active academic, cultural, or social programs in general each semester geared specifically towards the Max Kade German House residence hall activities.
- Run a German table at the applicable dining hall at least once per week.
- Engage in educational opportunities and possible joint collaborative projects with
other MLC’s located in proximity to the Max Kade German House MLC (for
example, the Global Scholars Program).
- Participate in Campus Day and other recruitment events, marketing, and in
conjunction with the Faculty Coordinator for the German Department, serve as
liaison to other units.
- Accompany and assist the Faculty Coordinator and house residents on the annual
study tour trip to a German speaking country (specific location determined on a yearly basis) and act as a leader and role model.
This position reports to the North Quad Hall Director and the Faculty Coordinator for the Max Kade German House. There will be an annual evaluation process in addition to the evaluations mandated by the Housing contract. The term of continued employment in this position is to be met through this LSA Max Kade German House Program evaluation, as well as by all the terms mandated by the contract.
Must meet eligibility requirements as outlined in the Traditional RA position
Co-supervised by the Hall Director and a Max Kade professional staff member.
As the Max Kade RA position exceeds 20 hours, this position includes a stipend. The Max Kade RA position also includes partial airfare and lodging for the annual study tour.
Phone: (734) 936 – 0150 or http://www.lsa.umich.edu/german/undergrad/maxkadegermanresidence